Recipe: Seared Scallops over Sweet Potato Puree and Apple & Basil Quinoa Salad
Ladies and gentleman, I’ve broken the cardinal rule of blogging, I haven’t written a blog post in over 2 months. Now I know that we write our own rules when it comes to blogging but consistency is very important to me and my goal has always been to write 2-4 blog posts per moth. The truth is I’ve been avoiding eating out quite as much in an effort to get healthy and I’ve also spent some time writing for a magazine recently (more on that soon), but really I have no excuse, I’ve been blissfully lazy. I’ve spent most of my weekends getting to know Frank Underwood and Tony Soprano and experimenting in my kitchen.
From Tumeric Shrimp & Coconut Curry and Peanut Sauce Stir Fry’s to Sweet Potato Soup and Dark Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats, I’ve been crafty in the kitchen. But I’ve been waiting for that one original recipe that was so impressive and so delicious to share with you. As much as I am a planner by nature, I have not yet mastered the art of meal prep and weekly menu planning. Usually I rummage through my fridge after work and whip something up with the ingredients on hand. Today I found seared scallops, sweet potatoes, basil and apples and so this recipe was born, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
Seared Scallops over Sweet Potato Puree and Apple & Basil Quinoa Salad
- 8-10 Scallops
- 1/2 a lemon
- 2 Tbsp butter
Apple & Basil Quinoa Salad
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1 bunch basil
- Handful of pine nuts
- 1 Apple
- 1/2 a lemon
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 spring onion
- 1/2 Tsp butter
Sweet Potato Puree
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into medium size pieces. Place then in a deep pot and cover with water and add salt, bring to boil. Boil for about 40 minutes until the sweet potatoes are easily pierced with a fork.
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, prepare the quinoa. Place 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Once it reaches a boil, reduce heat to medium low and cover. Simmer until all the water has been absorbed, approximately 15 minutes. Remove from heat, open the lid, and let cool.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to a blender, along with 1 tTsp cumin, 1 clove garlic, 1/2 a cup of coconut milk and salt/pepper (to taste). Blend until smooth, season to taste.
- In a small pan, add 1/2 a Tsp of butter, once melted add pine nuts and sauté until toasted
- Once the quinoa is cooked, transfer it to a bowl, along with 1 finely diced apple, chopped basil, toasted pine nuts and chopped spring onion. In a separate bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour over quinoa salad and toss to combine.
- Dry the sea scallops with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large skillet, heat butter on high heat. Once it begins to smoke, add the scallops and cook for approximately 3 minutes. Using tongs, flip the scallops and cook for an additional 3 minutes on the other side adding a squeeze of lemon to the pan as it cooks.
- To plate, start by spooning 3 tablespoons of sweet potato puree onto the plate. Top with a couple spoonfuls of quinoa salad, followed by the seared scallops.
- Garnish with fresh basil and pine nuts.